jueves, 13 de marzo de 2008

Updates! (no se como se dice en espanol)

Even though the celebration at Nazareth for the volunteer group was 2 weeks ago, I really should share a little about that experience, because it was such a great day. Mary Roy, the leader of the mission group that was here from my church has been coming now for 15 years(!) so they planned a party for her at Nazareth. All the teachers came as well as many of the students who had prepared some form of entertainment, a song, a dance etc. 3 of the older deaf girls performed a dance that I taught them, and they did a really good job. You wouldn't have guessed that they were deaf, or that they only learned it that week! After the performances we had a little dance party...so much fun. I mostly danced with Jose Carlos, whom if given the chance, I would absolutely try to take home with me in my suitcase. In addition to thoroughly enjoying the company of the kids, I also was having a great time with the teachers. Even though all the other Olancho Aid volunteers were there, not to mention 24 other Americans for me to talk with in a language I understand, I found myself hanging out with all the Honduran teachers, laughing and dancing and having a grand old time. I felt like I fit in with them, which is really a great thing, and not something I would have expected so soon.

This week I came to the realization that my time at Nazareth would probably be better spent working individually with the 5 Autistic kids. They are very difficult kids with basically no communication skills. Right now the school is really only serving as a day care for them, because they don't have the knowledge or resources to know how to work with them. I certainly don't either, but information is more easily accessible to me, and I figure any amount that I'm able to contribute will help in some way. I do enjoy teaching my clase de artistica, which I will continue to teach to the best of my ability, but it just feels less important to me.

Last night I went to Michael's house for a couple hours. Michael is a fourth grader at Santa Clara who is blind, and whom I offered to teach piano lessons to. He told me he had a keyboard at his house, but I did not assume he meant the little mini, almost toy keyboard that you can carry with one hand. None the less it went well, despite my zero experience in blind toy keyboard instruction. Michael was super excited when he learned to play Mary Had a Little Lamb, which was nice to see because he's usually very calm and quiet. I'm looking forward to teaching him more.

Monday night Colleen, Annie and I went to an exercise class. At first the only people there were us and 3 other gringa volunteers from the Day Star school. But eventually the Honduran women came, on Honduran time of course (always late). Now, I have taken my fair share of exercise classes, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed them as much as I did this one. There were so many great dance moves; we were shaking it all over the place, getting really sweaty and probably looking pretty dumb, but it was so fun! We're going to try to go every Monday and Friday.

Today was Dia del Padre (Father's Day) at the Santa Clara School. What do schools in the States normally do for Father's Day? Not much I don't think, maybe make cards for them? Well here it is a really big deal. We spent all morning setting up tents outside, putting tables under them and decorating them with tablecloths and party favors. A stage was built and decorated, food was delivered. All fathers came and had assigned seating, and each class prepared a song, dance, poem, or something else cute like that. Later we served lunch for all the dads. It was nice. The day seemed really long, and we were outside in the sun all day (I got my first significant sunburn of the trip) but all in all I think it went well.

The most exciting news is that I am now officially on vacation! Jess and I leave tomorrow for what I believe will be a really incredible week. Our first destination, after going to San Pedro Sula tomorrow to pick up Jess's friend at the airport, will be Tela, a town known for its beaches, where we will take a day-long boat tour (snorkeling included). Then we will bus it to La Ceiba for a night (a popular city near the beach with a great night life). From there it's a hop, skip, and a jump to Pico Bonito, a jungle known for it's large selection of outdoor activities. There we will stay 2 nights in an eco-friendly lodge and do another tour (hiking to a waterfall, maybe some white water rafting). Then we'll make the trek back to San Pedro Sula for the next couple nights, which is one of Honduras' 2 big cities. We will end the week with some descansar by spending 2 nights (including Easter) in a peaceful lodge by a lake. I'm so excited. Be prepared for a full detailed account when I come back, as well as hopefully some great pictures. And also prepare to be jealous. Where is the money for all this coming from you ask? The perks of traveling within a third world country.

No hay comentarios: